0censor News was originally founded in 2017 as 0censor.com, a project of the 0censor. At the time the site was a opinion site for articles by Tim Benton, over time we have added other sites and joined their articles with outs. . The site was established to provide an alternative for readers fed up with the overt politicization of establishment media outlets. Over time, the audience grew and writers and thinkers began submitting original pieces to be published in full.
Censorship is what drove 0censor to be founded, the belief that differences should be debated, never silenced.
In 2019 0censor became part of Benton Media, Inc., we expanded with a social network site called 0censor Community.
We are currently working on a new site called 0censor View, this will be a video sharing site.
Mission / Coverage Priorities
Founded in 2017 originally as 0censor, 0censor News is an online news publication consisting of news, commentary, and analysis. Other sections of 0censor News include Op Ed’s (political and cultural commentary), Liftable (lifestyle and uplifting stories) and The Wildcard (sports news and commentary).
0censor News focuses on topics that Heartland Americans care about. As many Americans continue to lose trust in the purportedly unbiased nature of older newspapers and networks, 0censor News is rapidly filling the gap as a trusted source of news and information for the stories and views that remain untold by establishment news sources.
As a values-based news organization, we believe that it is vitally important that we are transparent about our beliefs and how they may affect our coverage priorities. We believe that we should be open about values we hold, rather than hiding behind a veneer of “unbiased” coverage.
Founded in the context of a establishment media that in general reflects a politically liberal worldview, we do make editorial choices to tell stories that fill a gap in coverage priorities at establishment media outlets.
In our news coverage, we do not support political parties or specific candidates. Our news section is news, and presents the facts. In our opinion and blog sections, we do however support ideas that those parties or political candidates may espouse. Even more important than supporting policies we might agree with editorially is our obligation to our readers to give a complete picture of the truth regardless of our beliefs. We should honestly report facts at variance with points of view we may hold. There are many issues where we should let the facts speak for themselves and allow our readers to make up their own minds.
Editorially, 0censor News upholds conservative values, there is a slide between ultra conservative and more moderate with our writers. Our values include beliefs in the need for government to restrain men from injuring each other, the fundamental value of every human life — including the unborn, a rejection of racism in all forms. Politically, 0censor News advocates for broadly conservative positions on most issues, including abortion, national defense, small government, tax policy, and individual freedom.
All Ethics and Editorial standards stem from the following values.
- All our content should be true. No value is more important than this.
- This does not preclude the use of opinion — opinion is vital to political and cultural commentary. But all opinions expressed must be supported by truth.
- Our content should never denigrate a person or people due to circumstances beyond their control. We should always treat everyone we report and opine on as human beings, deserving of the respect due to those created in the image of God.
- All 0censor News content should be excellent, both in production and in the promotion of virtue.
- We must have courage in order to expose the truth about powerful interests that may be angered by our coverage.
- Within the context of our broader values, 0censor News encourages its employees to speak up when they disagree about a company decision or editorial position that they think contradicts or compromises the organization’s mission in any way.
- Every person in our news organization has unique gifts, a unique background, and a story that can contribute to the excellence of the whole company. We encourage everyone in our company to speak their minds, and we do not shoot down the discussion of ideas and always encourage honest debate.
- In terms of innovation, we are not afraid to try new things. We bring up new ideas when we see a solution that others don’t see. We experiment, analyze results, and try again. We encourage those in our organization to make big bets and fail. It’s the best way we learn and become a better news company.
Ownership / Funding Sources
0censor News and it’s parent company Benton Media are 100% owned by members of the Benton family, with no outside investors, grants, or funding. 0censor News is funded by paid advertising in order to provide a free news source for our readers.
Actionable Feedback Policy
We believe that public feedback is not a one-way street — that is, simply publishing your comments or letters. Instead, we are committed to engaging with you and taking action based on your suggestions, complaints and other feedback. You may help us develop an individual story or line of coverage, answer questions that a story may raise, identify related or under-covered issues, and teach us about new and diverse sources, experts and perspectives.
In line with this, we are committed to providing greater transparency about how news is produced and offering regular points of contact and interaction. We believe that news organizations have a responsibility to engage with the public on the values, issues and ideas of the day, and that we have much to gain in return.
You can reach us through the following ways:
- Contact us page
- Submit correction link on each article
- The contact form on each author bio page