Trump Administration Warns Of ‘Obliteration’ If Iran Continues Nuclear Weapons Research.
Even though Trump called off the strikes on Iran in the last minute last week in response to an attack on our drone, the second in two weeks, although this one succeeded in bringing down the drone, he has continued to let Iran know he will not back down.
Despite calling off a military strike against Iran, the U.S. is still poised to hit Iran hard after weeks of mounting tensions between the two countries, President Trump said on Sunday, in what appeared to be a coordinated effort by the administration to keep the pressure on Tehran.
Trump in an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press” said he is “not looking for war” with Iran, but warned of “obliteration like you’ve never seen before” if Iran resumes its efforts to build nuclear weapons.
Vice President Mike Pence told Jake Tapper on “State of the Union” that “Iran should not mistake restraint for a lack of resolve.
“All options remain on the table,” he added, “All options remain on the table,” he added.
National Security adviser, John Bolton, who is in Israel for a meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu, noted that Trump had just stopped a strike from going forward, but clarified, it was only this time. He went on to warn that another attack could occur at any time.
The president did say that John Bolton was one of his more hawkish people within his inner circle, “If it was up to him, he’d take on the whole world at one time,” the president told “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd.
Trump has said, his one unmovable condition with talks with Iran is there will be no nukes allowed to be developed, this is a red line he will not permit to be crossed, the rest is on the table, able to be part of a negotiation.
This stance is held by all the US allies arrayed against Iran, none of them are comfortable with a nuclear-armed Iranian Regime.
The latest escalation of tensions started with Iran first shooting at a drone the two weeks ago, then firing on another one last week and succeeding in bringing it down.
Reuters reported that Trump sent a message to Tehran to warn of the imminent attack, which would have targeted a limited set of Iranian radars and missile batteries, but the president dismissed those reports.
“I did not send that message,” Trump said. “I don’t know who would’ve said that.”
Vice President Pence said the president questioned if this attacked was authorized by the highest level of Iranian leadership.
“The president also had doubts as to whether or not the downing of our unmanned aircraft was actually authorized at the highest levels,” Pence told CNN’s Tapper on “State of the Union.” “We’re not convinced that it was authorized at the highest levels.”
But Pence made the US’s intent clear, “W
He reiterated that the U.S. is “prepared to talk to Iran without preconditions.” “The one precondition is … they need to give up the nuclear weapons,” he added.